Sometimes the seemingly simple tasks mushroom into time consuming tangents. Well, that's what I ran into when trying to extract captions from a YouTube video today. I have used a number of different methods in the past. From installing a program called Soundflower and mapping audio coming out of my sound card back into an input to capture the audio to then transcribe in Adobe Premier. That was not a very friendly approach and I decided there had to be an easier way. I mean really, YouTube already has machine encoded the captions. They're not great but for a 20 minute long video, I would rather clean the text rather than retype.
The following video shows this process. I used a random photography video to display how this works. As a designer and photographer, I watch a lot of photography videos and this just happened to be one of the randomly suggested videos in my list.